Monday, March 8, 2010

Submerged in water wearing a skintight wet suit, carrying an enormous bulky tank on my back. Above water the weight of this awkward hefty tank would cause me to fall over but under water it is weightless. Out in the middle of the ocean, in crystal clear blue water, off Phi Phi Island. Far from the sweeping white sand beaches.

I glance down and see the jaw dropping coral reef. Only I have to be careful not to drop my jaw or my oxygen will fall out and I wouldn’t be able to breath. I am in a world of serenity. The whole place is silent except from hearing the bubbles from breathing every few seconds. The sound of the bubbles is quite soothing.

Unable to communicate verbally with the instructor, we use hand signals. We slowly and gently float to the bottom. Careful not to damage the coral reef. Sitting on our knees to demonstrate the hand signals. Putting my thumb and forefinger in the shape of an ‘O’, I show the instructor that everything’s ok.

We gradually drift up to see the coral feet teaming with life. There are incredible views of every type of fish. The yellow boxfish, butterfly fish, silver dollar fish, purple fish, stripy fish, star fish. Its like I’m in another dimension.

Positioning my body at the perfect angle so I don’t so somersaults under water, I kick my giant flippers and swim on. Sometimes I can feel tiny fish nibble at my leg like I’m fish food but I just shake them off with a quick jolt of my leg.

I take a moment to look below me and I see a shark sail by. Although it’s not a dangerous shark I cant help but tremble just for a second, and think ‘what if?’ Further down I see pieces of wood, rusty chains and even a shoe lying on the sea bed. Then I remember that most of the contents of Phi Phi Island were swept out to sea after the terrifying tsunami. Thinking to myself for a second if there was a tsunami right now I could probably survive it because I have an oxygen tank and I wonder if anyone was scuba diving at the time of the tsunami.

I glide around to discover more of this aquatic world. It is the most relaxing environment I’ve ever been in yet it serves as an adrenaline fix. Nothing else matters here in this underworld. Time goes so quick here. What feels like ten minutes beneath water is actually an hour. I want to stay here forever and never resurface. But as my oxygen tank runs low I feel the urge to make my way to the top.

I gaze up and see the choppiness of the sea above and the sun beaming through the water. Swimming back up through schools of fish and past the coral reef. My head emerges above the water. I can see nothing only water for miles. Not even a boat in sight.

As the scorching sun shimmers down on my face and glares in my eyes, my water logged face starts to dry out. The sticky wetsuit begins to itch and I feel a sharp pain of hunger. All of a sudden I’m like a fish on dry land, trying to adjust to the conditions. I let out a sigh of relief when I see the boat approaching as I know lunch is on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment